TEKS UCAPAN KETUA MENTERI PULAU PINANG
SEMPENA MAJLIS SAMBUTAN TAHUN BARU CINA
6 FEBRUARI 2017 (ISNIN)
Salam Sejahtera and a warm welcome to our PDC Chinese New Year Open House Celebration.
The Chinese New Year celebrations is moderate this year following economic challenges and hardships stemming from GST and the weakening of the ringgit caused by the RM52 billion 1MDB scandal and the USD1 billion donation scandal.
The success in turning around a State that was in decline can be attributed to clean leadership and good governance based on the principles of CAT (Competency, Accountability and Transparency). We are well on the way to complete the transformation of Penang into an international and intelligent city.
CAT has allowed Penang to achieve annual budget surpluses every year since 2008, reduced state debt by 95% and increased state assets by 50%.
The good quality of our amenities, services and infrastructure in terms of healthcare, education, job opportunities and recreation has made Penang a natural choice for local and foreign talents who choose to work and live in Penang.
Ladies and gentlemen,
2016 was a challenging year, but it was also a fruitful year because we have successfully launched/completed some pioneer projects by the private sector such as :
- Design Village Penang opened on 23rd November 2016
- The first RM10 billion IKEA furniture store in the northern region by Aspen Vision, together with its mixed developments is expected to be completed in 2018
- The rebirth of a new icon – The Top@Komtar, a RM200 million refurbishment project of Komtar
- The RM750 million Setia SPICE Convention Centre - the largest in Malaysia, which is another refurbishment and revival project is due to open its door to the public in March. It will be an integrated business venue for meetings and conventions besides facilities for recreational activities
- The RM500 million Affordable Housing Scheme (AHS) projects in Bandar Cassia Batu Kawan consisting 11,800 units will be built in phases over 200 acres development area. Construction of the 1st Phase (Suria 1 Bandar Cassia), built over an area of 6.4 acres, consisting 520 units is expected for completion with CCC in August 2017
- Paramount Property recently unveiled the 43.5 acre Ultropolis in Bandar Cassia Batu Kawan, a mixed commercial development including KDU Penang University College
- ECO World and EPF will develop 151ha in Batu Kawan, Penang into two townships with a combined gross development value (GDV) of RM7.78 billion
- The recent signing ceremony between PDC and Aemulus Corporation Sdn Bhd for the purchase of 1.6 acres land in Bayan Lepas Industrial Park signifies the confidence of investors to continue investing in Penang.
Inspiring confidence can convince investors to put in money. Without confidence, even if the state government spends money, investors would still not come. This show how important and difficult to attain confidence is.
Recently, Penang has been pronounced as one of the 17 must-visit destinations in 2017 by CNN.com and MSNBC listed George Town as No.1 in the world for health-care!
We will be going into the year with strength, to build our accomplishments and to consolidate our position in the year of the Rooster. I, now have the pleasure to officiate the Chinese New Year Open House Celebration.
Gong Xi Fa Cai.